Wednesday, February 11, 2009

February is half over????

I was reminded today that I never updated everyone on whether or not I achieved my goals for January.

No trips to the emergency room for me--still don't walk like a supermodel but I'm getting better.... I didn't sign up for a yoga class but I did start back on the treadmill. I would like to run a 10K this summer and running increases my appetite so maybe I'll also gain weight. I didn't finish my paper but it's interesting how you can spend months looking at data and think it's all junk until you start writing what you think will be a negative paper. We now realize that if you interfere with the pain receptor we work with it is harmful if you look at survival during sepsis. The main reason this is so interesting is one of the drugs that we are using to interfere with the receptor is going to be used in the clinic (yippee, this is the goal of everyone at NIH) and we now know that special care needs to be taken to avoid sepsis in these patients. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why yet. I guess that's the next paper.

So, my goals for February (even though it's half over) is to be able to run a 10 minute mile, finish my paper and take a Zumba class.

Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO, it's not as complicated as it looks, but what are we looking at. Is that a model of what interfereing with the pain receptors looks like? I must say, it's rather pretty.

Good luck with that paper, I'll stick with baby catching, it's much easier and less complicated, I think.

Keep up with the training, I hope you reach your goal of running a 10K. We will be there to cheer you on. I'd like to say that I would run it with you, but I have NEVER liked running.

Talk to you later,
E

Tulip said...

Thanks E,

It's actually just a representative picture of what the receptor looks like. It's an ion channel (mainly calcium) and when we give our drug we overload it and destroy it. Yes, I know, how we can figure out that it's a calcium channel is the fun part.

TRPV actually stands for transient recptor potenial vaniolloid receptor--its the receptor for capsacin which is the component of chili peppers. It is activated by painful heat (over 45 degrees C) or capsacin and it plays a role in immune responses. Of course, I love what I do which is why I can go on and on about it. Baby catching is probaly a lot more fun and complicated!!!

If you and tiger lily are there I can hardly wait to run my first 10 K. I've run enough races by myself that just having someone to cheer at the finish line is the perfect scenario for me!

Have fun catching babies!

Pink

NK said...

Don't worry...I'll run the 10K with you this summer!! All we ever have are 5K here so a 10K will be exciting =) Haha oh yeah E you keep catching those babies lol

NK