Thursday, September 4, 2008

When it rains it pours

Well, I met with the radiation oncologist today and it was sort of a good news/bad news situation. First off, my radiation treatments can be done here, the side effects are general fatigue and some burning of the skin. Long term effects include increased risk of heart disease since it was my left breast. I'm just happy that I won't have to lose so much work time.

Now for the bad news, the original lump that was found back in June was never removed--it is still unclear why not or even if it was ever biopsied. I had an ultrasound performed and the radiologist and surgeon both felt that is was a fibroadenoma (but on the original ultrasound the radiologist felt one of the masses was a fibroadenoma and the biopsy proved otherwise) so the bottom line is, I am having an excisional biopsy/lumpectomy on Monday morning to remove the original lump that started this whole journey. Once the pathology is done we'll know what else I'm dealing with. I guess you could say I've gone full circle--I just feel like I spun my wheels a little in the past few months.

So, needless to say, I'm encouraged that I'm getting to start moving forward onto another part of my journey but I'm discouraged that it'll be delayed a little bit. Since they aren't taking any lymphnodes my recovery should be a little shorter.

I'm off to Richmond for another race (Hanna may change my plans) where I'll get to see some family and good friends. Tiger Lily will be spending her first weekend with her father and she is excited to spend some time with him. I'll keep everyone posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it rains it pours- is that a play on words since Hannah is also heading our way LOL. What can I say, it stinks. We can hope for the best on Monday, pray that the pathology proves it to be a fibroadenoma, then you can get the show on the road. Hang in there, relax a little this weekend. Give Tiger Lily a hug and a kiss. Luv ya Gini.

alfia said...

The first surgeon should be strangled a little. Why didn't she ask you if you wanted it removed and why didn't she inform you she left it out? The most importantly, why oh why she left it in at all? This is just crazy. Ugh!
Anyway, I hope you have a great time in spite of everything. I know your friends with lend you their love and support!
hugs

Anonymous said...

Hi Pink Tulip,
Hope your latest procedure is the last and want to hear all is OK.
Still praying. Do you need help?
just call you have Diva's number.